Before his passing, Sam delivered a presentation at TEDxMidAtlantic titled: My Philosophy for a Happy Life. Weighing an abysmal 22 kilos; Sam explained how progeria (accelerated premature ageing) affected his life. Although he spoke with the zestful cadence of a teen, his body looked fragile as that of an elderly person. “I am OK with what I can’t do because there is so much that I can do”, he declared. Sadly, his condition worsened and he died not too long afterwards. At the time of writing, his talk has been viewed 8 million times on you-tube. Reading people’s comments, I was shocked by the nasty remarks from heartless viewers:
“This thing talks???”
“Are we really taking advice from an alien now? Fucking humans”
“Sam had a happy life with his ugly face and now he's dead. Discuss”
“ET Came Back!”
The Stoic Philosopher Seneca said, “All cruelty springs from weakness.” I completely agree. The question is what are the weaknesses affecting the above individuals? What flaws exist in a society which produces people so devoid of compassion? It is far easier to be cruel than kind it seems but stupidity is not an excuse.
Sam’s List for a Happy Life
1. Be OK with what you ultimately cant do, because there is so much that you can do.
2. Surround yourself with people you want to be around.
3. Keep moving forward.
If you enjoyed the article, let me know what you think below and SUBSCRIBE
For more articles, please visit: www.onhumancondition.com
Discuss and comment on our Facebook page:
Add us up on Twitter
No comments:
Post a Comment