19/05/2015

What is Success?

I first seriously asked the above question to my father when I was around eleven and his answer was: perseverance. For a long while that satisfied me, because my father is living proof. From a small village in Malawi; he's eluded poverty to become a well known and respected business man. But, I can’t say I really understood what he meant until much later.  

Success is very subjective. Financial and materialistic success are probably the most highly esteemed forms. Frank Sinatra said, “The best revenge is massive success”. This quote resonates with a lot of people because it is popular belief that money and fame are success. A happy guru, meditating in an ashram somewhere, is not as successful as a champagne guzzling business executive with a supermodel wife, large estate and sports car.

Monetary success is important, but I’d agree with my dad that success is not a result; it is the actual process of pursuing. The more sedulous or deft you become at pursuing your targets; the more success you’ll attain. In-fact, a recent psychology study revealed that imagining materialistic success (i.e. the fancy car, wife, estate etc.) is actually counter productive. We tend to relax about our goals if we can effectively imagine how we’d feel if they were met.  

Success is taking a risk into the unknown. Doing something different! Money doesn't make you happier; it just opens possibilities. A cocaine addicted celebrity and tycoon philanthropist are both wealthy but we can guess which one of them is happier. But don’t take my word for it. Another recent study revealed how, the more money you make the less able you are to savour simple pleasures, thus the higher the chances of being unsatisfied and unhappy.

I guess when it comes down to it, all of us are self-made but only the successful will admit it! Being successful is a state of doing, persevering with what you are passionate about.

If you enjoyed the article, let me know what you think below and SUBSCRIBE

For more articles, please visit: www.onhumancondition.com
Discuss and comment on our Facebook page: 
Add us up on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment