We have all been there. Someone is speaking of a subject we know very little about and for fear of looking stupid; we agree with everything they say and daren’t ask questions. I was on the phone with my Dad not too long ago. He was telling me he went to a funeral in a certain region of Malawi. I wasn’t sure I knew where he meant but I didn't ask. My tone must've given my ignorance away because he inquired if I knew where the place is located. Still unwilling to accept I don’t know my homeland that well; I mumbled, “Ahh yeah yeah yeah.” Three whole “yeah's” to confirm and reaffirm that I knew where he meant. Lying through my teeth and he called me out on it. “Where is it then?” He asked. I collected the best of my intellect to give him a rough location (wasn't too far off), but I was wrong. What followed was embarrassment and a good old fashioned tutoring from father to son. He didn't make me feel bad, bless him. But why is it that; when you are young, ignorance is like a badge of honour? You proudly go around asking people questions about everything with no reservation or embarrassment what so ever. This is why kids become so smart so quickly; there is profit in learning. And profit in ignorance. Confucius said: real knowledge; is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.
If you enjoyed the article, let me know what you think below and SUBSCRIBE
For more articles, please visit: www.onhumancondition.com
Discuss and comment on our Facebook page:
Add us up on Twitter
No comments:
Post a Comment